Public Utilities FAQ's

Q: How do I apply for water and sewer service?

A: Contact our billing office at (937)-393-3447 or visit them at 130 North High Street. Office hours are 8:00am. To 4:30pm. Monday thru Friday, excluding holidays and weekends.

Q: How do I request that my service be disconnected?

A: Contact billing office at (937)-393-3447 or visit them at 130 North High Street. Office hours are 8:00am. To 4:30pm. Monday thru Friday, excluding holidays and weekends.

Q: Who do I contact if I have a problem with my bill?

A: Contact our billing office at (937) – 393-3447 or visit them at 130 North High Street. Office hours are 8:00am. To 4:30pm. Monday thru Friday, excluding holidays and weekend.

Q: Where do I report a water or sewer leak and or loss of service?

A: Contact the Water & Sewer Maintenance Department at (937)-393-2233 or after hour’s emergency and holidays call the Hillsboro Police Department at (937)-393-3411.

Q: Who do I call if a have a problem with water quality?

A: Contact the Water Treatment Plant at (937)-393-1321.

Q: Someone comes to my door wanting to come inside and check my water and sewer service and does not have any ID.Who do I call to verify this?

A: Call the police at (937)-393-3411. All city employees have city ID issued and uniforms.

Q: Why does sewer cost more than water?

A: Water is less expensive because it requires less treatment. Sewer requires the wastewater to be processed and the sludge (grit & solids) to be removed and disposed of in an environmentally friendly way.

Q: Who do I call to excavate on my property and concerned where my water and sewer lines are located.

A: Call the Ohio Utility’s Protection Service at 1-800-362-2764 the call before you dig hotline and the Hillsboro Water & Sewer Maintenance Department will respond and mark the lines in question with blue paint for water lines and green for sewer lines along with colored flags. The City of Hillsboro does not mark privately installed water lines and or sewer laterals.

Q: My bill is higher than normal. What could be the problem?

A: There are several ways to check for extra water usage:
Did you fill a pool, have extra people staying with you, do extra watering, car washing, or power washing?
Check for leaks in all plumbing including water heaters, commodes, service lines, humidifiers on furnaces, ice makers and water softeners.  You can also take a reading off of your water meter and wait a while then read it again to see if there has been any usage when no one was using the water. Do this several times over a 2 week period to see if anything shows up. If your meter is outside in a meter pit check inside the pit to see if the couplings at your meter could be loose and leaking there as well.
Q: How do I know if my toilet is leaking?

A: You can check for a toilet leak by looking in the toilet tank to see where the water level is. Make sure it is not coming up too high and going down the overflow tube in the toilet tank or even at the top edge of it.
Also you can put a few drops of red food coloring in the toilet tank and wait about 15 minutes to see if the colored water starts to run down the sides of the toilet bowl. This would indicate that  the flapper in the toilet tank is not sealing correctly.

Q: I had a leak. Can I get an adjustment for that?

A: Yes. You will need to come to the office and fill out a request for adjustment form as soon as the leak is fixed. You will need to provide information stating where the leak was and the date it was found and fixed.  If you fill a pool we will give an adjustment for that once a year  if the pool fill used 300 cubic feet or more of water. You will need to provide the beginning and ending readings from your meter so we can calculate the sewer adjustment for the pool fill. We do not adjust for commode leaks.

Q: I did not receive my bill this month. Does that mean I do not owe anything?

A: No. You should receive a bill the first of each month even if it is a zero balance. If you do not receive a bill please call our office at 393-3447 to see if you owe anything.

Q: How and where can I pay my bill?

A: You can pay your bill online by going to  You will need to have your book and account number as well as your internet pin number (THE LAST 4 DIGITS OF THE OWNER’S PHONE #.)
You can also mail in a payment, drop one off in our drop box which is located outside the front doors of the building, or you may pay in the office. We take cash, check, money order,  and credit cards in the office.

Q: Is the City of Hillsboro Water Co.  (Hillsboro Public Utilities) and Highland County Water the same ?

A: No. They are two totally separate businesses.